11/3/15

Supper's Ready


I remember as a kid, we would be playing out in the yard all day, but when our Mom called us for supper (we called it dinner), we would high tail it for the house.  Sometimes I was so engrossed in my play that I would not even think about food, but when the call went out, I would realize how famished I was.

There is something comforting about hearing the call for supper!  To gather together with friends and loved ones, to hear their stories, to get to know them better! 

"When the banquet was ready, he sent his servant to tell the guests, 'Come, the banquet is ready.'" (Luke 14:17)

Come, the banquet is ready. 

That passage of Scripture is located in the Parable of the Banquet, a story where people are invited to a huge feast and make all kinds of excuse why they can't attend.  Eventually, the master of the house sends his servant out to bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame. (v.21)

The needy, the hungry, they came to the feast.

Though Jesus tells this story to teach a lesson, I find encouragement in that passage as well as the marriage supper of the Lamb found in Revelation 19:6-9 which says "Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb."

I get excited when I think about this feast. 

I long to sit at table with Jesus Christ, to worship Him, to hear His voice, to know Him more!

When the call goes out that supper is ready, will you be coming to the table?

No comments: